Sunday, November 6, 2011

Me at Nokia world, London.


This diwali turned out to be a memorable one for me, I was invited as guest to attend Nokia world in London along with other top contributors, namely Psychomania, CJLim, Carman58 of Nokia support discussions, see my profile on Nokia support discussions here. Invite was from Nokia discussions forum administrators Vandelay and MichealS( I think picking me was choice of both after two others, invited first, couldn't make it). Names mentioned are their alias on the forum, not real names. I received the invite from Vandelay on 6th October, I was excited after reading the invitation, for a moment thought is this for real. The event was for two days 26th(Diwali day) and 27th and I had already availed leave for Diwali holidays. This being my 'Thala deepavali'( first deepavali after marriage) I was ready to celebrate it in a grand way, Nokia world invite came in as a surprise and suddenly my excitement shifted to it, my spouse was excited as well and encouraged me to attend it. Diwali comes every year but this is one chance I will ever get in my lifetime, I decided not to miss it. Visa procedures were hectic but it is a story for another day, on 21st Oct afternoon I received visa imprinted on my passport delivered at doorstep, I was mighty happy.

Flight journey from Hyderabad to London was not that exciting but for British airways gave me two seats(one window seat), food was OK. Other than my sleeping hours it was a boring flight journey. By visiting this website http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/2625.aspx and conversations with Psychomania and Carman58 on twitter I was able to get a fair idea how to get to hotel from Heathrow terminal 5 through London Tube service. We were booked to stay in Marriot, West india quay. I accidently met Carman58 and Mr. Mania after I reached Canary Wharf station, hotel was fairly close so we three walked all along. It was so nice of Psychomania who lend me his spare SIM card, it was very helpful for me to check e-mails and post few pictures on twitter while I was there at the event. Not to forget CjLim's cool Guinnes key chain to each one of us.

Got all my keys on this, Thanks CJLim :)

After checking in and resting for few hours in the hotel I met Vandelay, Paul, Jimmy lee(@jjklee on twitter) and Richard dorman who blogs at http://onlyfoolsandmobiles.com/ in the hotel bar down. A special dinner was arranged for that night at La Tascas restaurant and we were joined by Alf Noto, Vice-president Nokia care globally and Adam Fraser who posts at http://conversations.nokia.com, you can read Adam's post on Nokia conversations here. Ambiance at La Tascas restaurant was cool, we talked about phones and community a lot. There were different phones to play with ;-). Later Cjlim joined us. After that, we had a little session back in hotel for sometime, next day was going to be big.


 Day one at Nokia world.


Keynote proceedings started with Colin Giles, head of sales, welcoming all on stage. We were dumbfounded when we four got a mention, that was unprecedented, you can watch the keynote video in this link http://events.nokia.com/nokiaworld/ seek to 3:25th min in the keynote video, later I came to know that CEO of Nokia, Stephen Elop himself has told him to give a special mention about us. In the event Nokia launched their WindowsPhone7 devices Lumia800 and Lumia710 and Asha series phones Asha303, Asha300, Asha201 and Asha200. After launch event was over, we were all given a Nokia Lumia 800 for use, they gave it along with an O2 sim card with 10£ credit on it, which is a nice touch, FYI Nokia Lumia phones works only with micro-Sim. Party time started at around 5p.m, probably I might be the only person who didn't drink beer there(bad boy?), there was after party too, I didn't have enough energy to attend so went back to the hotel, anyway I was going to have only coke. 

Evening party on Day one, taken with Lumia800

Evening party on Day one, taken with Lumia800

Day two at Nokia world.

Day two started with a dance show from a crew who performed in 'Britain's got talent' dance show, we attended Q&A sessions from product managers of Lumia 800, Nokia accessories, Nokia music, Nokia store etc. Those who attended Nokia accessories Q&A were given a Nokia MD-310 music receiver, excellent gesture. We were asked to give back Nokia Lumia 800 which we did with regret, phone was awesome to use despite some problems in creating new Windows live account. There was also London sight seeing organized for guests after things got over but I couldn't join them, I stayed for two more days in London, after attending Nokia world, with my high school friend who is living along with his uncle in London. You can see photos of places I visited in London here.

Is Nokia back on track?

Yes in my opinion. Nokia world surely has brought enthusiasm and interest in Nokia phones. There were mixed opinions about Nokia's decision to make WindowsPhone7 as their primary smartphone platform but after using one of the Lumia phones launched I feel they are heading in a right direction and I hope they will prove their decision worth. Nokia world did blow my mind over and this is THE best honour I could get for making mildest of contributions on their support forums compared to others who attended. I thank Nokia for all entertainment and hospitality provided at Excel London. Best event I have attended so far, will remain one of the best for ever. When at Nokia world I didn't miss Diwali at all it was such a wonderful and neatly organised event.

6 comments:

  1. Nice post Kriz, and I share your senriments, it really was an AWSOME event :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate :). It was great to meet you guys, would have never got an opportunity to meet if not for Nokia world invite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting and wonderful write up @krizanand....Congratulations.....and all the best for a lot more exciting days ahead..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice write up Krishna! I could easily understand the ecstasy about the whole event. Wish you many more such occasions. Feel proud my boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Murthy Thank you sir :-), appreciated. Very fortunate to be a part of such a big event.

    ReplyDelete